A timely consultation with your periodontics can save your smile and save you a lot of tears. Periodontitis is known as gum disease.
American Dental offers different alternatives to prevent, treat and solve this disease that is becoming more frequent.
Periodontitis in simple words is caused by a strong infection that can in a short time make you lose teeth in an irreparable way.
Unlike other diseases, this infection does not act on the teeth but, does so directly on the bone.
Periodontitis causes the bone to be destroyed causing the teeth to loosen or detach, causing irreversible damage in patients.
Do you have any of these risk factors?
Risk factors are used to find out if a patient is more likely to develop a disease. The more items you add, the more likely you are to suffer from this disease.
- 1. Poor oral health habits
- 2. Smoke
- 3. Genetics
- 4. Medications that affect oral health
- 5. Vitamin C deficiency
- 6. Hormonal changes
- 7. Gingivitis
- 8. HIV/AIDS
- 9. Diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and Crohn’s disease
It is important to clarify that each patient is completely different, as is their oral-dental health. For this reason, if you have one or more risk factors, it does not necessarily mean you will develop this disease.
However, if it is very important to act preventively, request an ASSESSMENT APPOINTMENT
As in any disease there are actions that can be taken to prevent it, however, if it is already advanced, a quik intervention of the specialist in Periodontics will ensure a better prognosis for the patient.
Periodontics – Preventive
- • Medical history review: In this initial phase of the process, we seek to know the patient in depth to rule out possible internal or external causes that could cause this disease.
- • Oral examination: With this deep exploration, the specialist of Periodontics generates an early diagnosis to take measures in the short, medium, and long term. This scan looks for signs of bleeding, plaque, and tartar buildups, among others.
- • Depth measurements: These are not painful for the patient. They are performed with great care, avoiding causing discomfort in the patient. They consist of grafting a metal sterilized device to measure the gum bag of the teeth.
Treatment in patients with Periodontitis
Periodontics – Preventive or Early Detection
This treatment is performed according to the needs of each patient, however there are some generalities that should be performed when this disease is in an initial or advanced state.
When periodontitis disease is diagnosed in its early stages, non-surgical maneuvers such as the following can be performed
- • Scraping: This procedure removes tartar and bacteria from the surface of teeth and below the gums. This treatment is carried out with sterile instruments, laser, or an ultrasonic device.
- • Root planning: Scaling softens the root surface, prevents tartar and bacteria buildup, removes bacterial by products that cause inflammation, and delays gum healing and reinsertion.
- • Antibiotics: Antibiotics (topical or oral) help control bacterial infections. These topical medications may include a mouthwash or antibiotic gel that is applied to the area or pouch between the teeth and gums after a deep cleaning. But oral antibiotics may be needed to completely kill the bacteria of periodontitis.
Periodontics – Advanced
At this point, the patient should know that Periodontics must be more rigorous with the treatment and will do everything in its power to eliminate the infection caused by periodontitis. In these cases, surgery is required.
Some of the most common surgeries to treat the different sources of infection, bone and tissue repair are those detailed below.
- • Pocket reduction surgery: The goal of this surgery is to remove excess skin to keep the gum areas and tissues clean and healthy.
- • Soft tissue transplant: What it does is it limits the receding gums, covers the roots of the teeth, and improves the appearance of the smile.
- • Bone grafting: This graft is performed when the bone has been destroyed by this disease. It seeks to prevent the fall of teeth and helps regenerate natural bone.
- • Other techniques are also used for bone regeneration, such as tissue regeneration and stimulating protein.
Benefits of Consulting at America Dental
Periodontics is the branch of dental surgery that studies the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases and conditions of the tissues that support the dental organs (gums, periodontal ligament, cementum, root, and alveolar bone) and implant alternatives. Maintaining the health, function and aesthetics of teeth and adjacent tissues.
Our Holistic Dentist Team are the best in Costa Rica. Be free to ask our specialists medical -surgical in dentistry. We are not an option, we the best option for your health.o.
We are certified to the strictest American quality standards to ensure our patients the best possible outcome. We have more than 15 years of experience and thousands of satisfied patients.
Our commitment to excellence is also present in our technical team. We care about serving our patients with the latest technology to facilitate their speedy recovery. Being efficient and minimally invasive is our priority.
These last two points are only achieved by being at the forefront with high quality equipment and according to the needs of our patients.
The surgical equipment we use to provide good dental treatment is dental chairs, air compressors, suction units, X-ray equipment and generators, vacuum autoclaves, sterilization equipment, water distillers, curing lights, dental implant surgical motors, dental hand pieces, ultrasonic scales, capsule mixing units, apex locators, and hand-piece oilers.
Drop Us A Line.
Let´s get in touch to talk about your Dental Bone Graft procedure. We want to see your new smile .